Sense and Sensitivity: Allergies vs. Sensitivity

ME: LA Office Staff

February 23, 2017

During my time working with mold and chemical sensitive patients, we had many discussions about the difference between being allergic to or sensitive to different things. Most patients and I agree that when you tell someone you are sensitive to perfume for example, it is not usually taken as seriously as if you were to say you were allergic. So many times, those of us who are chemically or mold sensitive, use the word allergy instead. The definition of allergy is : a condition in which exposure to a substance, such as pollen, latex, animal dander, or a particular food or drug, causes an overreaction by the immune system that results in symptoms such as sneezing, itching, rash, and difficulty breathing or swallowing. The definition of sensitivity is: the state or quality of being sensitive; often used to denote a state of abnormal responsiveness to stimulation, or of responding quickly and acutely. Truthfully, if something makes you feel uncomfortable, you are having a negative reaction and steps need to be taken to alleviate the culprit when possible.

Now how do you do that? Many times a person will start with their doctor and get treated for the symptoms. I personally keep a stash of benadryl handy for what I call allergic reactions plus I take an allergy medicine daily for maintenance. In the past, this has been sufficient. Over the last year, I developed a rather nasty reaction which impacted my eyes. So I did the usual benadryl then to the doctor for a round of steroid treatments. The worst symptoms were treated but the root cause of this reaction is still unknown.This is where environmental testing comes in.

Working at a lab where mold testing is done and identified, I was curious as to what happened next for the patient. Then I was fortunate to work with a physician who was well versed in treating chemical and mold sensitivities. As we worked on treatment plans primarily consisting of diet changes and supplements, we found success in that the patient felt better but when they would go to work, for example, they would become sick again. That’s when I began working with Environmental testing. If you don’t treat your environment, you may be missing a major step in your healthcare. So testing your environment for mold and other environmental contaminants is the obvious next step. That is why we at MoldExperts: LA are a non-profit organization. We provide initial consults at no charge to you. Then you work with your environmental expert to decide what tests need to be taken.

If you have any questions about proper remediation strategies, please do not hesitate to contact us at Info@MoldExpertsLA.com or MoldExperts: LA today.

A division of MoldExperts: CA

California Nonprofit Corporation

© 2016 MoldExperts: LA www.MoldExpertsLA.com

Mold Experts Serving California. Based in Los Angeles